How to Apply to Residency
Applications will be accepted from senior medical students and from those with approved postgraduate training. The residency program selects the best qualified candidates without bias. The actual selection process focuses on information supplied by the candidate. We participate exclusively with the ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). This program is sponsored by the Deans Office of American Medical Schools (please check with your school for further information). If you are a Foreign Medical Graduate, you may be sponsored through ECFMG (Educational Council on Foreign Medical Graduates).
We will begin accepting applications in September. Once all application material is received we will consider your application. Successful completion of medical school will be necessary prior to beginning our residency training program.
Department of Psychiatry
355 West 16th St., Suite 2364
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone (317) 963-7307
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Does your program participate through ERAS?
2) What is the deadline to accept applications?
3) Does your program accept COMLEX in lieu of USMLE?
4) Does your program take International Medical Graduates?
5) What are the minimum score requirements for USMLE Step 1 and Step 2?
Pass on first attempt.
6) Is ECFMG certificate required for application?
Yes, unless pending for completion of Medical School.
7) Does your program sponsor H1 or J1 visas?
We sponsor J1 visas only.
8) Does your program require U.S. clinical experience?
Clinical experience in the United States is helpful; there is no minimum time requirement.
9) Does your program have fellowship opportunities?
Yes, there are three accredited fellowship program opportunities: Addiction Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and, Geriatric Psychiatry.
10) Does your program/Department offer extern/observership opportunities?
No, our school no longer offers this opportunity.
11) Does your program have a maximum number of years to complete the program?
The maximum amount of time allowed to complete the program is eight years if done half time.
12) What is the last day to provide the ECFMG certificate?
For current Medical Students, the ECFMG certificate is required prior to the start of Residency. For those who have already graduated from medical school, the ECFMG certificate is required prior to the deadline for match preferences.
13) What is the graduation cutoff date?
Five (5) years post graduation.
FYI: For in-state licensure, Indiana requires that Step 3 be completed within seven years of the date Step 1 is passed.